Dear Windows-Help.NET Subscriber,
Intel Corporation this week introduced the 550 MHz Intel® Pentium® III processor. The Pentium III processor is designed to power an Internet experience filled with rich audio, video, animations and 3-D that make information come alive. The 550 MHz Pentium III processor is available now in volume and is being used in systems from several major PC manufacturers, as well as in a boxed format from Intel product dealers and resellers.
"The 550 MHz Pentium III processor enables powerful computers to run the next generation of productivity and media rich applications in modern multitasking operating systems, both on and off the Internet," said Pat Gelsinger, vice president and general manager, Intel Desktop Products Group. "The Pentium III processor's Internet Streaming SIMD Extensions Instruction Set has been a hit with software developers resulting in numerous optimized Web sites and software applications available today."
Last week Intel also introduced the mobile Intel® Celeron processor at 366 MHz and the mobile 440MX and 440ZX chipsets, three products that bring increased performance and capabilities to low cost notebook computers. The new Celeron processor 366 MHz is now Intel's fastest processor for mobile Value PCs. With this processor, Intel is also introducing the new Micro PGA processor packaging, which offers more flexibility to system manufacturers and can help them reduce inventory costs.
"We are committed to delivering the building blocks our customers need to help them develop smaller, higher performance notebooks at a lower cost," said Frank Spindler, vice president and marketing director of Intel's Mobile and Handheld Products Group. "This includes faster processors, chipsets and new processor packaging that are specifically designed to address the needs of our customers and end users in the mobile PC market segment."
Prices climbing for LCD screens
Market researcher Stanford Resources this week confirmed that the liquid crystal display industry is experiencing a sharp price rebound, because a shortage of high-quality liquid crystal displays (LCDs) is driving up the price of this critical PC component.
But according to the Stanford report, the supply constraints will begin easing next year, with the addition of manufacturing capacity in Korea and Taiwan.
We want to thank everyone who completed our Web site feedback form. Here's what you told us:
57% of you access the Internet at 56K, 23% at faster speeds.
69% use Win 98, 27% Win95, 3% WinNT
54% browse with IE 5, 19% IE, 4 and 27% use Navigator 4.x
Screen size: 54% 800x600, 23% 1024x768, 15% 640x480
11.5% look at 256 colors, the rest have a better experience!
77% use a combination of methods to navigate our site, 92.3% rate the navigation as "Good" or "Excellent"
23% Never use the site's search engine. Of the other 77%, 46% rate the search engine as "Good", 23% as "Average"
61% want to see more tips as well as "how-to articles", 46% asked for Software reviews, and another 35% would like to see Hardware information. (Since more than one choice could be made, totals add up to more than 100%).